Saturday, March 01, 2008

YOUR PSYCHIC AWAKENING: MEDITATION

This is the second post in a series:
Your Psychic Awakening

All people are born with some psychic abilities. Being "psychic" is really just a line that is drawn in the sand, in comparison to the skills of the "average" person. And that line keeps moving forward because of the upgrades all of us keep getting. These upgrades are part of the energy shift that is happening in the world. (The Mayan Doomsday, what I call The Great Awakening.)

Psychic awareness is self-awareness, and awareness of Self. In many ways other people, and how we react to them, serve only as reflections of ourselves. Not just what we see in ourselves, or what we like in ourselves, but also what we don't like, or refuse to see, or cannot see. That co-worker that you cannot stand to be around is happily married. You find him oppressive, his spouse sees him as self-confident.

If something is making me angry, or anxious, and I cannot admit it to myself, or face the situation honestly, I find that the people I encounter in my daily round will be angry or anxious. Sometimes directed at me, sometimes not. One thing I have found very striking in moving back to a city with such a small population that there are people I will run into only when I am in a bad mood, or a good mood, or only when I am thinking about some specific thing. We transmit and attract energy, and we are tuned to recieve what we project.

A further complication for people with developing psychic abilities (especially empaths) is that other people's energy and responses to you will sometimes feel like your own emotions. Your blind spot will be your weakness. I have such a need for male approval and attention that I often mistake their attraction to me for something I am feeling. It was not until I really started meditating and doing energy work that I began to see this. (Now, even if I can't see it when I am in the company of one of these men, I see it fairly quickly when I am alone, even if I don't meditate.)

When someone asks me to pass on a message to someone on the other side, I say "the dead can hear you, you just can't hear them." Psychic energy is like this, too. It is all around you, and it is always working. Almost everyone has had the experience of thinking of someone and they call, or bump into them. I have found that the more I develop, the fewer the thoughts in my head that I can claim as my own.

If you have ever had a weekend alone, or gone away to a remote place by yourself, you know that the longer you are gone, the less you think beyond the moment. (Ann Morrow Lindbergh's Gift From The Sea is an excellent read on this experience. And the need for it.)

Meditation is a necessity in a world with six billion people, whether you are "psychic" or not. We take in so much of the world every day. We are constantly distracted-- the television, music, telephone, video games, the computer and internet; it is easy to lose the sound of our inner voice. There has to be a period of time everyday where we sit in silence alone, listening only to our own breath.

This is probably the best meditation to start with. In California I would recommend sitting outside, with your feet touching the earth (not concrete), and just focusing on nature: birds, a tree, a garden. But even just a few mintues every day in the morning or before bed, or when you get home from work, where you just sit and focus on breathing and letting each thought go.

Don't try to stop thinking. And don't become frustrated if you keep drifting off into some scenario from your life. Just keep re-focusing on your breathing.

Yoga is a great way to relax before meditation, and it cleanses your chakras naturally. I recommend a short, 30 minute DVD I got from Barnes and Noble. The postures are simple, it is hard to find excuses not to do thirty minutes, and it will put you in the right frame of mind to meditate. (Plus it is great for your body.)

Try for ten minutes and build from there. If you partake of any substances that alter your perception of reality, I recommend that you do not do so before meditating. It is not that there is something wrong with altered states of consciousness, but meditation is also an altered state, and worth learning to do without outside assistance.

Eventually you might want to learn a structured meditation practice: chanting or breath work, perhaps. Thought observance is a meditation I was introduced to recently. Simply sitting and observing where thoughts come from, what emotions they generate, and how they make you feel.

Blank-mind meditation is also another option, but for most people requires an instructor and a structured form (yoga, martial arts, or Eastern religion).

Meditation will also help relieve anxiety and stress. Even if you only do it for five minutes every day, the space it creates will carry through all the other hours of the day. You will find your centre faster, stay more focused on the present, and reduce knee-jerk reactions to situations that are not to your liking.

And if you are going through a psychic awakening or upgrade, it will create the space for your own, pure, unadulterated thoughts and feelings. (And for your spirit guides to reach you.) As I said before, being "psychic" is more about self awareness than awareness of other people or outside events.

PRAISES, THANKS, & BLESSINGS!!!

No comments: