Wednesday, February 14, 2007

IRIS, THE OTHER MESSENGER GOD

In Homer's Odyssey it is Hermes who delivers messages for the Gods, but in the Iliad it is the often overlooked Iris, goddess of the rainbow. During Mercury Retrograde periods (see my previous post if you do not know what "Mercury retrograde" means) I honour Iris. It does seem to help with the "glitches."

Ironically, last night I was about to post on my Mercury retrograde ritual when my browser crashed. I took this as a sign to actually DO my ritual rather than write about it. However, today I shall honour Iris as she steps in to perform while Mercury/Hermes is off to Mount Olympus to report on mortal comings and goings. (This is the "story" that explains the retrograde periods symbolically/mythically/psychically.)

Wednesdays are ruled by the planet Mercury, and also the astrological signs of Gemini and Virgo. Honouring Iris during Virgo as well as Mercury retrograde periods is also advisable, especially if you practice any sort of magick, or have an alter where you honour the planetary rulers and/or days of the week.

(I burn different coloured candles for each day and each ruler. If you follow the New Age/Wiccan/Chakra colour schemes that are popular in current practices it would generally be white for Monday, the moon, and Cancer;
red for Tuesday, Mars, and Aries and Pluto and Scorpio;
Yellow for Wednesdays, Mercury, and Gemini, and I use brown for Iris and Virgo;
Purple for Thursdays, Jupiter, and Sagitarius and Neptune and Pisces;
Green for Friday's, Venus and Taurus during the "Bealtaine" waxing half of the year-roughly May 1st to November 1st- and Pink for Venus and Libra during the "Samhain" waning half of the year;
Saturday's I burn black candles for Saturn and Capricorn and Uranus and Aquarius, and Sunday's orange for Leo and the sun.)

Praises, Thanks, & Blessings!!!!

No comments: